for the annual congregational meeting
FINAL REPORT FOR 2017
The Cathedral Worship Committee,
The Worship Committee formed
mid-year. A temporary website for committee use was created at www.cres.org/GHTC.
It includes a list of our members and ex officio members. It also records
information about our three monthly Sunday meetings, with the Dean participating
at each meeting.
We can report these beginnings:
1. We developed a job description and submitted it to the Vestry, appended below.
2. From a variety of perspectives from within the Cathedral membership, we collected over 40 ideas for discussions, projects, and enhancements, with the list remaining on the website until a committee chair for the new year is chosen.
3. As an early step to ready
our newly-created committee to do the survey expected of us in the Strategic
Plan, we created and archived weekly postings for the Saturday Cathedral
Digital Bulletin emails until they were discontinued for the Pledge Drive
OUR JOB DESCRIPTION
In light of the Cathedral’s Strategic Plan with the specific goal of providing distinct and meaningful worship opportunities, and grateful for the treasury we have inherited and the beckoning of the future, the Worship Committee shall —
1. Pursue study of the rich meanings of our liturgical and devotional traditions and possibilities through committee members’ conversations with each other, and share insights with the congregation through educational communications and programs. This living tradition includes daily, weekly, seasonal, personal transition, and special worship experiences, in both specific elements and entire liturgies.
2. From time to time, review the congregation’s worship experiences and advise the Dean and others on how worship experiences, and the skills and resources which make them possible, may be diversified, celebrated, enhanced, and enlarged.
3. Support and encourage the clergy, other staff, and volunteers in their roles in making worship most meaningful, beautiful, and embracing. Specifically, with the Dean, Music Director, and others, help plan seasonal liturgies. This includes an advisory, consultative, cooperative relationship in sundry ways and to varying degrees with clergy, musicians, sacristy guild, Eucharistic ministers, ushers, acolytes, lectors, sexton, buildings and grounds, children’s ministry, catechumens, and pew participants.
4. Cooperate and communicate with other Strategic Plan committees as appropriate.
Vern Barnet, 2017 chair
Subject: % Nov. 18 Worship Committee mtg canceled
Dear wonderful Worship Committee members --
We've had three productive and enjoyable Sunday meetings since our committee was formed, but finding a time during the week in the Thanksgiving and Advent season has proved difficult, so we will not meet until next year when the Committee's ideas about Lenten themes will be welcomed. I understand few responded to the notice/poll for meeting tomorrow, Nov. 18, from the office, which, it was decided, should handle our communications. I apologize for this late notice of cancellation from me, but I wanted to be sure everyone was informed. Future communications will come through the office.
Thank you so very much for the pleasure of working with you since July to enhance the worship experiences at the Cathedral as we give ourselves in service to the future with God's grace.
A Blessed Thanksgiving!
Next Meeting Agenda DRAFT
Nov 18 Sat 10-11:30?
When we met last, we told each other about our favorite spots in the Cathedral. At this meeting, let's tell each other about our favorite "spots" in the liturgical year. Having discussed various items on our list of Possible Projects and Routines, we may now be ready to prioritize them in categories of (a) Discussion needed (a) Ready to Recommend, (b) Discussion needed, or (c) Long-term considersations. How we proceed especially with the Vestry's Strategic Plan involving a variety of worship styles/experiences and -- as we have discussed -- the Sunday 5 pm service or alternate -- may be one of the big items meriting considerable exchange among us as a committee and the congregation.
We likely will not meet during Advent. The January meeting is scheduled to be devoted to planning Lent.
WORSHIP PREVIEWS. Some of us may be working on a
contribution to our weekly efforts to highlight some aspect of the worship
experience in the Saturday eBlast. I've learned that these items are being
suspended because of the annual pledge campaign, and the liturgical calendar
may mean that these may not resume until next year. So far, we've had contributions
on a window in the nave, the altar guild, the meaning of worship, hymns,
chants, a Gospel passage, the BCP, and the idea of beauty in Episcopal
worship (Brian McLaren).
COMMITTEE CHAIR. The Senior Warden asked me to get the Worship Committe started, and my commitment was for six months, with our first meeting July 2. The regular procedure is for the Dean to select the committee chair.
Sept 17 Sunday 6-8 pm, Common Room
1. Grace at Meals, BCP 835
4. Prioritizing projects including
5a. Report from the Vestry -- Chuck
5b. Reports-- Being helpful
per our Job Description, a portion of which in #3 says "Specifically,
with the Dean, Music Director, and others, help plan seasonal liturgies."
6a. Additions to the agenda
7. Set date/time for next
mtg -- Oct ??
2017 Aug 6 Sunday 11:45 - 12:45
1. Opening prayer Psalm 150
Our 2017 Aug 6 meeting
Background for an August, 2017, report to the Vestry--
A SUMMARY OF WORSHIP COMMITTEE ACTIVITY 2017 JULY 2 TO THE PRESENT
Specifically concerning the Strategic
Plan 2017 initiative--
As an initial way of building confidence
and skill, the committee has --
Note.-- I do not think it is appropriate at this time to survey the congregation. Before launching an activity that might generate a sense of instability, since the Committee is new, the Committee first needs (1) to gain more experience working together, (2) to prioritize and complete small perfections, and (3) to earn its place in the Cathedral structure. I realize "research" is part of the initiative for 2017, and informal research is happening! (I've been surprised by how many people have sought me out in my new capacity as chair, even though the Committee is barely visible in the wider congregation.) I think Committee members -- certainly including me -- need more time on the "learning curve" before we attempt formal surveys or other measures of congregational appreciations and desires. Worshiping God, celebrating His grace, brings us together, and is a distinctive witness to the City of His love. We want to proceed in the most inclusive and effective ways toward the Goal.set forth in the Strategic Plan.
Cathedral Worship Committee
0.— Open mtg by praying Psalm 96:1-9.
1.— Learn about each others' particular interests in worship and serving on the committee — why worship is important to us and what we might contribute to the committee's ministry.
AN OPENING QUESTION
3.— Additions to agenda.
7.— Confirm any assignments.
8.— Consider when we might meet next.
9.— Concluding prayer, #58, BCP p832.
Jun 23, 2017, at 2:59 PM
Dear Cathedral Friends--